Thursday, August 27, 2009

Laura's Story

I am currently going through breast cancer treatment and I would love to share with your readers all that I have learned since being diagnosed on July 16.

It has been a roller coaster ride to say the least, but I am also staying positive and just taking it one day at a time. I am going in for my second surgery this Friday as they found another area in my breast that still has cancer. I am trying very hard to save both my breasts, and I think that is doable, but it is only because I have been vigilant about learning all I can so I can make the right choices for me.

What scares me the most is that I have absolutely no history of cancer in my family. I also found the tumor on my own and it did not show up on a mammogram and barely an ultrasound. It wasn't until I had the biopsy that they knew for sure I had cancer.

So what does that say for the women who go in every year for their mammograms and come out okay? Is there something lurking in there that they can't feel and the mammograms can't pick up? I am not saying that they are not important to have, but I think we need to do more.

My entire story is posted on www.caringbridge.org/visit/lauracapello if you want my entire story. Although I am still going through cancer, I already feel like a survivor and I hope in the future I can be of support to other women going through this journey.

Thank you for the opportunity to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment